Saturday, August 1, 2009

What did Madame C.J. Walker actually invent? I mean specifically, all i could find was a scalp cream

I have to do a 1pg. monologue from the point of view that I am Madame CJ Walker. I know that she made the first African American hair care products but I don't know how to actually turn that into a monologue. And for those who don't know what a monologue is, a monologue basically a skit for just one person. It's the thoughts in somebody's mind. So I guess what was in Madame CJ Walker's mind when she decided to make the African hair care products. Help me please. I just need help as in where to start.



What did Madame C.J. Walker actually invent? I mean specifically, all i could find was a scalp cream, for...?

There are a few sites that show the products, in little tins (it's not like the shampoo we know today, but then, neither was men's shaving cream, or toothpaste). One is a "vegetable shampoo" (which looks like a tin of soap), and the other is called a "wonderful hair grower" (which looks like a tin of ointment).



I don't know how many ways you have to source this project, but according to this website:



http://www.lkwdpl.org/wihohio/walk-mad.h...



Walker claimed that the idea for the hair grower came from a dream she had, in which a black man gave her a recipe to cure baldness. That could make an interesting monologue, or at the very least a good part of one.



The dream angle is not so far-fetched, either. Supposedly Singer got the idea for sewing machines from a dream he had about needles sewing from top and bottom simultaneously.



What did Madame C.J. Walker actually invent? I mean specifically, all i could find was a scalp cream, for...?

Did you go to the Public Library and ask for assistance look up the information?



What did Madame C.J. Walker actually invent? I mean specifically, all i could find was a scalp cream, for...?

The Hot Comb



Hairspray



several relaxers



and various creams



-Laila

No comments:

Post a Comment